Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Her biological clock just kept going, and going, and going...

Okay, I am real bad with pasting and copying and linking and all that so I am going to relate the story as the best way that I can.

Sunday in yahoo news there was a report that a 70 year woman in New Delhi, India gave birth to her first child at 70. She and her husband have been married for over twenty years and never had any children in their earlier years, so they decided to do IVF. Years before this woman's husband married her sister in order to have children. That marriage produced no children as well.

The reporter is happy to report that mommy and baby are doing fine.

You gotta think, was it really the woman who had the problem? One may never know. I guess this will be their first and hopefully their last child.

This woman is the reportly the oldest woman to give birth. Another woman in Spain is the oldest woman to give birth to twins at the tender age of 66.

I wish them both the best of luck!

5 comments:

Christine said...

strange story. guess they'll have help to look after the baby at that age!

Mr. Bill said...

So she'll be 88 when her child graduates from high school.

I suspect mom will have trouble with the new math.

The Mind of a Mom said...

Hey Bibi

Okay that is so wrong on so many levels. The doc that did this needs his butt kicked then his head checked or the other way around I am not sure!

*Akilah Sakai* said...

When I read this story yesterday, my mouth just dropped open. Aren't there orphans in India she could have adopted many years ago? I know the adoption process in the US is tough, so people go out of country mostly, but how is it there in India if you are a citizen? I'm baffled a woman of that age did this via IVF. But, the doctor said they checked her out and decided she could carry a high-risk pregnancy. He said the only downside was that the baby would become an orphan at a young age since the mom is 70 and the dad is somewhere in his 70s.

It must have been really hard years on them both wanting a child so bad till finally, at 70, you do IVF. But why didn't she do this earlier in her life when she could have had so much more time with this child? Or, if you can afford IVF, surely you can afford to adopt. I know, I know...some prefer their own flesh and blood or nothing at all. But 70?!

BIBI said...

Mr Bill, tehehe. That comment deserved a chuckle.

Christine, I know but I had to share. You know I guess it is some kind of bond to people who are struggling to raise children. :)

Mind of a Mom, I totally agree.

Akilah, I know it saddened me to know that there are thousands of orpahns waiting to be adopted and this kind of procedure was done. I guess they wanted to make one for the history books!