Friday, January 16, 2009

Experiences in Life Know No Color




I am a big Tyler Perry fan. He has a wide audience around the world and I have also signed up for his daily emails. It’s always a pleasure to hear what is going on with him and I feel so honored to receive his letters when he wants his fans to know what is going on and coming up.


Of course, there is always going to be controversy surrounding successful people who have made a name for themselves and has virtually sprung up from nowhere. But I rarely pay any attention to rumors and don’t hold public gab fests, just private ones.


Anyskittle, I just wanted to share this recent email from Mr. Perry with you all. Enjoy!



Hey there,

Okay, I wanted you to know what's going on with me over the next few weeks
so that you can print a schedule and follow me if you'd like. Not as if
you don't have enough to do... (smile). I haven't done this is awhile.
I'll try not to bombard you with too much information, but I just wanted
to let you know what I'm up to in this new year.

I was once told someone that my movies only appeal to black people and no
one else. Now, I know that's not true. I know that even though I write
from an African-American experience and most of the time I have an all
African-American cast, that doesn't mean that other people from other
walks of life can't relate. I think that any human being who goes through
what we all go through can relate to my films (I saw "Slumdog Millionaire"
and loved it and I'm not Indian). I know and remember that when I'm
writing. But when this person said that to me they also said Europeans
would never relate, and that sat in my spirit. So I decided to come to
Europe to find out for myself because I always thought that my work was
universal.

Monday I started in Rome, and then on to Madrid, and will end this weekend
in London. So far all of us seem to be pretty much the same...(smile). We
love to laugh, we all have problems, we all want love, and we all have a
church in every country. And since these are the things I usually write
about, I don't see how that statement can be true. Do you? Hit the message
board
and let me know what you think about this, and tell me where you're
from when you do, okay?

Here's my schedule and a few things that are going on:

I get back on Saturday, January 17th, just in time for the BET Honors
award show in which I am being honored. I think it airs February 9th. Now,
they don't know what they are doing bringing me to D.C. to the Warner
Theatre
, my home away from home. You know I'm coming to have a good time,
don't you?

On February 12th, I will be hosting the NAACP Image Awards with Halle
Berry
. Isn't that crazy? HOUSE OF PAYNE has been nominated for 4 awards, Alfre Woodard for THE FAMILY THAT PREYS and Angela Bassett for MEET THE BROWNS (the movie). It's going to be a fun night! On February 20th, MADEA GOES TO JAIL (the movie) comes out nationwide. Also MEET THE BROWNS (the sitcom) is on TBS every Wednesday. So if you missed it last week check it out this week. You'll see how funny it is. And it's funny at a time when we need to laugh.

And don't forget that Essence Magazine is on the shelves.


I'll talk to you later.


T.P.

7 comments:

Mr. Bill said...

I haven't seen his shows on TBS, but I've seen a couple of the Madea flicks. I LOVED them! He is pretty funny, and a bit old school with his views on family. I like him!

And I'm white. So I guess he's right.

*Akilah Sakai* said...

He's been around for quite some time (theater), but it's almost as if he just burst onto the scene out of the blue. His movies make really good money at the box office. I haven't seen them all (slap me please) knowing that I like to laugh and Tyler will bring the funny, but I will.

He made a very good point here about visiting other countries:
We love to laugh, we all have problems, we all want love, and we all have a church in every country.

BIBI said...

Mr. Bill,
You're right. He is old school on his views of family, but he is very humorous as he is doing it. I love a good laugh now and then too.

Akilah,
I like that he brought up the point that we all (humans)"love to laugh, we all have problems, we all want love, and we all have a church in every country." Well said, don't you think?

*Akilah Sakai* said...

Oh yes, definitely well-said.

Sheri, RN said...

I have to agree that people can relate to movies such as these that are from any race. Some people are just close-minded and don't even give it a chance.

The Mind of a Mom said...

I say good on him to come from nowhere to to stardom! I think if other's don't like it, it is their problem. I don't find him funny so I don't watch him but I find you funny and that is all that matters in my world!! :o) xoxo
Hope you had a good week and weekend

BIBI said...

Thanks Sheri. You are soooo right! :)

Thanks Mom. You've made my day! :)