Wednesday, February 18, 2009

And the Oscar Goes to...


Heath Ledger, was a remarkable actor. Just recently (two weeks ago) I saw 'Dark Knight.' He was superb, and I hope he does win.

It wasn't until I saw Heath in '10 Things I hate About You' that I really began to dig Aussie guys. (See my label on 'Hugh Jackman') Of course, I never had the chance to meet or date one, but a girl can dream can't she?!? :^)

If he does win, his daughter Matilda, with whom he had with Michelle Williams is only three and will bring home the trophy for her dad. If only she can sign a contract. Read the complete article.

Now, I believe that a three year old can sign their name because kids are being taught earlier in life these days, but to put such a stipulation on such a child who has just lost her father is downright sad.

I hope the Academy's President comes up with a better solution for any 2 year old ready to pick up his/her trophy in the coming future.

14 comments:

*Akilah Sakai* said...

They did come up with a solution. Michelle Williams signed the contract to hold it till Matilda is 18-years-old.
________________
"After conversations with Williams and with Ledger's family in Australia, the academy hit on a solution: "In the event that Heath Ledger should be selected as the supporting actor recipient, the statuette will be held in trust for his daughter by her mother, Michelle Williams , until Matilda reaches the age of 18," says Davis. "At that point, she may execute what we call an heir's agreement and keep the statuette forever — or, if she chooses not to do that, it will return to us."

In other words, the Oscar statuette can spend the next 15 years with Matilda, but her mother, who has signed the academy's agreement, will be the legal custodian. When Matilda is old enough, she can claim ownership by signing the agreement. If she does so, she'll become the official owner and will be legally bound not to sell her Oscar; if she opts not to sign, the statuette will revert to the academy without any payment."

BIBI said...

Ah! That's what happens when you don't further investigate. Thanks Akilah!

Sheri, RN said...

I hope he wins too, he was a really great actor. I also loved him in 10 Things I Hate About You. Such a classic 90s film!

*Akilah Sakai* said...

No problem. But surely this situation will cause them to make adjustments to the rules.

Unknown said...

ahh.. he is so sexy and such a great actor. His role in the dark night still gives me the creeps, he's so good at what he does.

B said...

I miss Heath

BIBI said...

Yes Sheri, it was. I still watch it with my kids and they laugh and love it. They usually think I am so old fashioned, but now I'm cool. :)

BIBI said...

No doubt Akilah. Hopefully all works out well!

BIBI said...

So true Anne. Do you know if Heath ever was voted one of People's mag sexiest people alive? I never saw him on their as named so. Just wondering!

BIBI said...

Don't we all Deutlich. Don't we all! :-(

Charles Gramlich said...

I never know much about the Oscars but I did like Ledger in Dark Knight. I'll root for him. Sad how he died so young

The Mind of a Mom said...

Oh I heard about this, it is very sad! But I heard they were going to hold the award for her. Either way, congrads to him for winning! She needs to be proud of her daddy! To bad he was taken away far too early in life.

BIBI said...

Yes Charles. The talented always are taken so young. I loved Heath.

BIBI said...

Hey mom, I totally agree with you!